The post-master’s certificate for adult-gerontology (13 years – 80 +) clinical nurse specialist serves those master prepared nurses educated in the Clinical Nurse Specialist role who require additional coursework to meet eligibility requirements to take the national certification examination as an adult-gerontology clinical nurse specialist. Students will complete clinical practice hours in the advanced practice nurse role and be prepared to practice in three spheres of influence: patients and families, nurses and nursing practice, and organizations. The Adult-Gerontology CNS area prepares post-master’s RNs to provide advanced care to adults experiencing complex acute health problems. The post masters RN will use advanced diagnostic and assessment skills and interventions to manage and improve patient care. Graduates are prepared for the national certification examination as an adult-gerontology clinical nurse specialist through a national certifying organization.
PMC AG for the CNS Curriculum | 16 credits
|NR601||Advanced Pharmacology||3 credits|
|NR602||Advanced Pathophysiology||3 credits|
|NR 603||Advanced Physical Assessment||3 credits|
|NR616AGPM||Advanced Practice Nursing III||4 credits|
A maximum of 6 credits from previous study may be applied to earn the certificate.
Those with previous credits in Advanced Pharmacology, Advanced Pathophysiology, and/or Advanced Physical Assessment must take NR600D ST: Care of the Older Adult Advanced Concepts & Application.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Post Masters CNS Adult-Gerontology graduate
- Provides advanced care to adults (13 years – 80 +) experiencing complex acute health problems.
- Uses advanced diagnostic and assessment skills and interventions to manage and improve patient care.
- Considers all influences on a patient’s health status and the related psychosocial and behavioral problems arising from the patient’s altered physiological condition.
- A current, unencumbered United States RN license
- Master of Science in Nursing earned degree as a Clinical Nurse Specialist