DSU-Wesley Acquisition > >

Quick Links

BS/MS Program

Policy for enrolling in the 5-year Environmental Science BS/MS Program

At the end of their sophomore year, Environmental Science and Environmental Policy majors may opt to enroll in the BS/MS program provided their current cumulative GPA is a 3.0 or higher. A student needs to declare this plan no later than the end of their junior year.

Students must submit the following to the Office of Graduate Admissions:

  1. Completed Wesley College Graduate Application Form (application fee is waived)
  2. Unofficial Wesley College transcripts
  3. Two letters of recommendation that address academic capabilities and relevant experiences.

Junior students with a cumulative GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 should apply as directed above and could be accepted conditionally, with a final determination of their status to be made by faculty no later than the end of their junior year.

Biology and Biological Chemistry majors wishing to enroll in the BS/MS program have the same entrance requirements as Environmental Science majors, but must also demonstrate an interest in the environment by completing with a grade of “C” or higher one or more of the following courses: ES209, BI350, BI355, or BI435.

Once enrolled in the 3+2 program, a 3.0 cumulative GPA must be maintained and a grade of “B” or higher must be earned in each graduate level course. Dropping below a 3.0 will result in probation for the graduate program as stipulated in the 2017-18 Graduate Catalog.

Students must complete 124 credits for the undergraduate degree plus 30 credits at the graduate level. A maximum of 15 credits of graduate work, including cross-listed courses, can be counted towards the undergraduate degree. Upon completion of 124 undergraduate- or cross-listed credits, the B.S. degree shall be awarded.

Students may select either the thesis option or non-thesis option for the graduate program. If in the thesis option, a student must obtain advisor approval of a thesis plan no later than the first day of the first semester of their senior year. Such students would be exempt from ES406/407, instead taking ES600. Students electing the non-thesis option should enroll in the department’s one-semester Senior Seminar course prior to taking ES506/507 during their final semester of graduate work.