- Bachelor of Science in Education K-6
- Bachelor of Science in Education K-6 / Special Education Dual Certification
The Education Department at Wesley offers a degree program in elementary/middle school education which provides for K-6 certification and a dual certification program in Education K-6/Special Education. Preparation includes course work in child and young adolescent development; learning theories; classroom management; language arts, mathematics, science and social studies curricula. Focus is placed on reflective thinking and action research. The program requires that each teacher candidate complete one (1) content area in addition to completion of the required content core for elementary or dual certification.
Graduates of the Education program
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of content and life-long learning strategies for independent knowledge construction.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of pedagogy, including self-knowledge and knowledge of how children, youth, and others learn.
- Demonstrate continual growth in Content Pedagogical Knowledge through planning, delivering, differentiating, and assessing instruction in ways that align to social constructivist practice and content standards.
- Demonstrate growth in scholarly competencies, including critical thinking, reflection, technological literacy, and communication through multiple texts.
- Demonstrate growth in the dispositions of persistence, tolerance for ambiguity, work ethic, and self-directed learning as learners first and then as teachers who consistently demonstrate these professional qualities in multiple professional contexts and settings.
Upon satisfactory completion of the four-year program in elementary education and upon submitting evidence of having achieved a level of performance satisfactory to the Delaware State Department of Education, graduates receive the B.S. in Education K-6 and initial certification in elementary education for grades K-6 or the B.S. in Education K-6/Special Education and initial certification in elementary education K-6 and special education.
- CAEP accredited program
- Field experience in most education classes with culminates in a year-long internship
- Prior to admission to the internship year, teacher candidates must have maintained a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 and provided the Department of Education with an official copy of passing PRAXIS II scores for the Delaware tests.
- Valid negative TB test.
- Current Criminal Background Check on file with Department.
- Current Delaware Child Protection Registry Check on file with Department.
- Authorization Release Form on file with department.