Why I Teach
I teach because I love the moment when the thrill of discovery crosses a student's face. I never wanted to pursue any other career.
Grants and Awards
- American Association of University Women, Dissertation Fellowship, Finalist. 2010.
- University of Delaware, Global Studies Grant, Newark, DE 2009.
This grant paid for research in C & J Clark’s corporate archives.
- Hagley Museum and Library, Grant-In-Aid, Greenville, DE 2008
This competitive grant supported my research in Hagley’s collections
- Newcomen Dissertation Colloquium, Travel Grant, 2007
- Member, Faculty Work Group, College-Wide Rubric Revision (Spring, 2014)
- Member, Assessment Task Force (Fall 2013)
- Member, Departmental Assessment Plan Development Committee (Fall 2013-Spring 2014)
- Member, Organizing Committee for Faculty Workshop on Rubric Development (Fall 2013)
- Member, Department of History and American Studies Program Review Committee (Spring 2014)
- Member, Created Equal Steering Committee, Dover Public Library (Fall 2013-Spring 2014)
- Faculty Advisor, De La War History Society (Fall 2012-Spring 2014)
- Advisor, Undeclared Majors (Fall 2013-Spring 2014)
- Session Chair, Scholars Day (Spring 2013)
- Entering Freshman Common Experience Discussion Leader (Fall 2012)
- Scorer, US History AP Exams, Louisville, KY (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)
- Scorer, World History AP Exams, Colorado State University (2008)
- Delaware Division of Parks and Recreation, 2001-2007
- 2010-11: Transferred collections data from an excel spread sheet into PastPerfect, collection management software for museums.
- 2009: Edited final version of the Delaware State Parks Administrative History.
- 2005-2007: I worked with the Delaware State Park Historian and a team of researchers to produce an administrative history of Delaware’s state park system from its inception in 1938 to 2005.
- 2003-2004: The state of Delaware acquired three buildings of the former Joseph Bancroft & Sons, Inc., a textile finishing firm in Wilmington, DE. I surveyed related collections at the Delaware State Archives, Hagley Museum and Library, the Historical Society of Delaware, the University of Delaware Special Collections, and the Friends Archive at Swarthmore College. My research was the basis for site interpretation and exhibits designs.
- 2003-2005 Delaware State Parks is currently restoring Fort Miles, a World War Two coastal fortification on Cape Henlopen. The restoration has required extensive research on sewer and water systems, furnishings, equipment and contracts in the collections of the National Archives in Philadelphia and College Park, MD.
- 2001 Using collections in the National Archives in Washington, DC, I built an Access database of medical records from Ft. Delaware, a civil war prison. Data from this project has been valuable in accurately interpreting the site and refuting myths about the mistreatment of prisoners.
- 1999-2000 As an Archival Assistant for the Library of Virginia, I worked on an Augusta County Courthouse Preservation Project organizing, preserving and cataloguing several thousand court documents dating from 1747 to 1872.
- American Historical Association
- Business History Conference
- Pennsylvania Historical Association
Papers, Publications, and Presentations
- “Joseph Bancroft and Sons of Pennsylvania: Welfare Work, Success and Failure in the Strike of 1933.” Pennsylvania Historical Association, Susquehanna University, October, 2010.
- “The Bancroft-Clark Connection,” University of Delaware, History Department, October 2009.
- “Something More: Loyalty and Efficiency at Joseph Bancroft & Sons Co., 1905-1933,” Business History Conference, Milan, June 2009.
- “Samuel Bancroft: The Sporting Quaker,” Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington, DE. March 2008.
- “Joseph Bancroft and Sons,” Dissertation proposal. Newcomen Dissertation Colloquium, Business History Conference, Cleveland, OH 2007.
- Holyfield, Stephanie. Review of Wives of Steel: Voices of Women from the Sparrows Point Steel Making Communities by Karen Olson. Maryland Historical Magazine 102: (2007): 229-231.
- “An Administrative History of Delaware State Parks 1938-2009.” Published in house. Co-authors: Leeland Jennings, Andy Bozanic and George Contant.
- Ph.D., American History, University of Delaware, 2013.
- M.A., American History, James Madison University, 2000.
- B.A., History, Milligan College, 1994.
- HI424 Nineteenth Century America
- HI103 & 104 US History Surveys
- AM200 American Culture and Counterculture
- HI220/320 African American History
- HI255/355 Coming to America
- HI255/355 Modern Africa
- HI255/355 Germs in History
- HI255/355 Feminism in Film
- HI255/355 James Bond’s Cold War: The Cold War in Popular Culture
- HI255/355 Modern Latin America
- HU230 Contemporary American Culture
- HU231 Contemporary World Cultures
- Location: Budd Hall 117
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (302) 736-2407