Wesley College Partnerships
Barratt’s Chapel was built in 1780 and is the oldest surviving church building in the United States built by and for Methodists. The museum at Barratt’s Chapel features displays of the history of Methodism and the Delmarva Peninsula. As a United-Methodist affiliated institution, Wesley is associated with the Methodist Chapel and assists in providing maintenance and processing financial transactions for the special building.
The Campus Community School (CCS) is a charter school with the goal of providing students with strong academic preparation and promoting critical and creative thinking skills. The elementary school is located at 350 Pear Street in Dover. Many students in the Education Program at Wesley conduct classroom observations and student teaching at CCS.
Wesley College is a partner in the 2009-2014 Grant Award from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for the Delaware IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (DE-INBRE). This collaborative and interdisciplinary effort across the state includes the University of Delaware (UD), the Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI), Delaware State University (DSU), Wesley College (Wesley), the Delaware Technical and Community College (DelTech), Nemours/A. I. DuPont Children’s Hospital (Nemours), and the Christiana Hospital Health Care System (Christiana). The total five year award is for $17,379,872 and has a start date of May 1, 2009.
In July 2008, the Downtown Dover Development Corporation, Main Street Dover, and the Dover Parking Authority merged to form the Downtown Dover Partnership. The Partnership is committed to providing residents, businesses, and visitors with a great place to visit, shop, live, and work. Wesley College supports many activities, events, and efforts held by DDP.
The Schwartz Center for the Arts was originally constructed in 1904 and known as The Dover Opera House. In 2004, a strategic alliance was formed to collaborate the resources of Wesley College, Delaware State University, and The Friends of the Capitol Theater, to maximize usage and position of the historic treasure as the premiere performing arts center in Central Delaware. Since 2007, Wesley has been an equal partner in the operation, management and programming of the Schwartz Center for the Arts. Several Wesley programs are held at the beautiful theater each year.
The Children’s Beach House (CBH) is a non-profit organization that helps children with special needs reach their highest potential as functioning members of their families and communities. Wesley provides a classroom space on the Dover campus for CBH children to learn and develop.