The mission of Counseling Services is to provide guidance and support for students to aid in transition in college life to encourage psychological well-being, growth, development. Counseling Services provides guidance and support through counseling, education and consultation with students, faculty, staff, and parents.
What is Counseling?
- Counseling includes identifying and dealing with your problems using the help and guidance of a counseling professional. Problems can be personal, social, physical, or academic.
- Counseling involves exploring your options for change. Changes do not always take place quickly or easily.
- The counselor’s main role is to support you while you work through your concerns.
- A goal of counseling is to help you develop the decision making skills needed to the challenges of living.
- Your responsibility includes working with your counselor through the counseling process and being conscientious in keeping your appointments.
Concerns That May be addressed by the Counseling Center
Academic Problems, Alcohol and Drug Use, Anger Management, Anxiety, Concentration Difficulties, Depression, Eating Disorders, Family Problems, Grief Reactions, Homesickness, Irritability, Low Self-esteem, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Pregnancy, Racial/Ethnic Bias, Rape/Sexual Assault, Sexual Orientation Concerns, Sexually Transmitted Disease, Sexual or Physical abuse, Interpersonal Conflicts, Stress Management, Sleep Problems, Test and Seminar Anxiety.
….. and many other concerns which may interfere with your success at Wesley College.
The Staff of the Counseling Center
The staff of the Center consists of licensed M.S.W. In addition, a psychiatrist is available on a consultation basis.
What to Do in a Crisis
When you or someone you know is in a crisis situation that you believe requires urgent attention (e.g. having thoughts of hurting self or others; may have overdosed on alcohol or drugs; feel unsafe or are concerned about the safety of others; have been sexually harassed or assaulted), assistance is available during office hours. After hours, you should call Security or 911.
Counseling Center Phone Number: (302) 736-2445
The Counseling Center is located in the Wellness Center. The Wellness Center can be found in the basement of Carpenter Hall.