Office of Science / Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists
The Office of Science / Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and (WDTS) is pleased to announce that it is accepting applications to its 2017 Summer Term internship/fellowship programs. These programs, which offer opportunities for direct engagement in scientific research and technology featuring specialized instrumentation; large-scale, multidisciplinary efforts; and/or scientific user facilities, are available for undergraduate students enrolled at community colleges and/or four-year institutions, and for visiting faculty. Selected students or faculty participate at one of 17 DOE Laboratories/Facilities, receive stipends, and may qualify for travel and housing assistance.
Applications for these competitive programs must be completed and submitted online by 5:00 PM ET on January 13, 2017 (including all required application materials and recommendations). The 2017 Summer Term placements are for 10 weeks duration in a May to August timeframe.
The three programs accepting applications are:
- The Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) program encourages undergraduate students (including community college students) to pursue science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers by providing research experiences, under the guidance of laboratory/facility staff scientists or engineers, on projects supporting the DOE mission. More information about SULI and access to the online application is at http://science.energy.gov/wdts/suli/.
- The Community College Internship (CCI) program encourages community college students to enter technical careers relevant to the DOE mission by providing technical training experiences at the DOE Labs. Students work on technologies or instrumentation projects or major research facilities related to ongoing R&D programs. More information about CCI and access to the online application is at http://science.energy.gov/wdts/cci/.
- The Visiting Faculty Program (VFP) seeks to increase the research competitiveness of faculty members (including community college faculty) and their students at institutions historically underrepresented in the research community in order to expand the workforce vital to the DOE mission areas. In this program, selected university/college faculty members collaborate with DOE laboratory research staff on a research project of mutual interest. Faculty member participants may invite up to two students (one of which may be a graduate student) to participate in the research project. Applicants establish their collaborations with laboratory research staff in advance of applying and must submit a co-developed research proposal as part of the application. Students apply separately at the invitation of the faculty member. More information about the VFP and access to the online application is at http://science.energy.gov/wdts/vfp/.
The SULI, CCI and VFP programs are sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science / Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists. The Department of Energy’s Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States, and is working to address some of the most pressing challenges of our time.
Please share this information with potential applicants, as well as faculty or principal investigators.
Wesley College is committed to helping students participate in undergraduate research both on campus and at other institutions. Listed below is a sample of paid research opportunities. See your advisor to learn more about opportunities in your field.
For a complete list of National Science Foundation REUs, click here.
- Delaware INBRE/EPSCoR Summer Scholars Program
- Delaware Space Grant Consortium Fellowships and Scholarships
- Office of Education Infrastructure Services (OEIS) Launchpad
- Mickey Leland 2017 Energy Fellowship Internship Program
- NOAA Rising Juniors
- Center for Experimental & Applied Economics
- NASA SLSTP
- The Space Life Sciences Training Program
- 2017 Summer Undergraduate Research Program Sponsored by the Delaware Center for Neuroscience Research
- 2017 Collegiate Leaders in Environmental Health (CLEH) Summer Program
- 2017 DoD Summer Undergraduate Research Internships Opportunities
- The Nemours Summer Undergraduate Research Scholarship Program
- Higher Education Research Experiences (HERE) Program at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
- Contact: ORNL Science Education Programs
- Marine Sciences Summer Program
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- UD Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program in Chemistry and Biochemistry
- USRA Scholarship Award Program