Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
The Bachelor of Science in Sport Management is housed within the Kinesiology Department which strives to impart the knowledge, skills, and professional qualities necessary to pursue career and/or advanced learning opportunities in the sport and exercise settings as well as promote health and wellness as a part of life-long learning. The department combines the values of a liberal arts education with specific content in the area of Sport Management.
Graduates of the Kinesiology Department should be able to:
- Demonstrate the abilities associated with being an independent learner and critical thinker.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate professionally both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate pre-professional skills and qualities evidenced through a practical culminating experience.
- Internship requirement – off campus
- Coaching Certificate
All students enrolled in the Sport Management program:
- Must complete a minimum of 100 clock hours of documented field observation as part of internship eligibility
- For internship eligibility requirements: attain a minimum grade of “C” in all courses with KN index; attain a minimum grade of “C” in all MAJOR REQUIREMENT COURSES; must have an earned cumulative GPA of 2.0; must have an earned GPA of 2.5 for ALL courses with the KN index; and have final approval of the Kinesiology Department Faculty. All internship site supervisors and facilities must meet the approval of the Kinesiology Department Faculty. The internship requirement is a minimum of 400 clock hours
- NO transfer credits will be accepted from community college level course work for 300 and 400 level courses. Acceptance of ANY transfer credits is the discretion of the Wesley College Office of the Registrar and the Kinesiology Department Faculty
- Any current Wesley College student not initially declared as a major in one of the department’s programs, must have an accumulative grade point average of 2.0 in order to be accepted (change major) into the program.
B.S. Degree in Sports Management
Sport Management students appropriately apply the knowledge, principles, and skills related to the management of sport and physical activity based organizations.
Graduates of the Sport Management Program should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the socio-cultural dimensions and ethical considerations related to sport and physical activity.
- Understand and apply the concepts of management, finance, economics, and marketing in the sport and physical activity settings
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal concepts related to the sport management field
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles involved in leadership and the attributes of sport governance organizations
Academic Progress Policy
(Effective as of A.Y. 2012-13)
The Kinesiology Department has developed the following policy regarding continuation within the curriculum programs (Exercise Science and Sport Management):
- If a student within the Kinesiology majors fails the same KN course requirement* twice, the student can no longer major in the KN program. If conditions change in regards to coursework, the student may apply for readmission into the major via letter of request. The letter must be submitted to the Chairperson of the department of Kinesiology for review and pending approval by the Kinesiology Department faculty. Submission of a letter to request consideration for readmission to the program does not guarantee acceptance.
- If by the conclusion of the 5th semester in the program, a student major has a GPA for the KN(PE) courses of less than 2.0, the student can no longer major in KN.
*The KN course requirement per internship eligibility and graduation specifications is that a “C” or higher grade must be earned.