As part of the application process, prospective Scholars will be required to fill out an application form developed by the advisory committee, complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) form, submit a personal essay describing their education and career goals and experiences and submit a recommendation letter from a STEM high school teacher. The Selection Committee will also receive each applicant’s high school GPA and SAT scores from the Admissions Office.
To receive a Wesley-Cannon S-STEM Scholarship students must:
- Have a high school GPA of at least 3.0 (or a Wesley student with a 2.7 GPA).
- Have an SAT score of at least 1006 out of 1600.
- Have completed three years of high school English, three units of math (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II) or equivalent and preferably three years of laboratory science courses.
- Be enrolled full-time in biology, biological chemistry, environmental science or mathematics.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have financial need as defined by the U.S. Department of Education rules for federal financial aid.
- Have an interest in math or science as demonstrated by participation in STEM-focused activities such as Science Olympiad or Math League or as discussed in the application essay or letter of recommendation.
- Students are required to write a one-page essay indicating their future STEM goals and justify why the award should be given to them.