The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) awards Institutional Development Award (IDeA) Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE) grants to IDeA-eligible states. Delaware (DE) is an IDeA state. The University of Delaware (UD) is the lead institution on the DE-INBRE program (http://de-inbre.org/).
Since its initiation (2002-2003), Wesley College has been a very active participant in the DE-INBRE program. The College collaborates successfully with all its DE-partners to broaden its bio-medically related programs, improve its research infrastructure, engage students in independent undergraduate research projects and, it continually supports additional Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) students by providing mentoring and career development activities.
The 2014-2019 funding will be utilized for the following bio-medically related initiatives:
- DE-INBRE will provide capital for the STEM Directed Research program; INBRE Summer Internship program; Senior-Thesis projects; Scholars Day projects; Experiential Learning projects; College Core-Curriculum (First Year Seminar and Frontiers in Science courses); Informatics minor; STEM scholarships; STEM subject tutoring; STEM programs; and when necessary, for online STEM Career & Retention tools
- DE-INBRE will provide travel funds for the active participation of STEM students and faculty to various scientific conferences
- DE-INBRE will support the Honors Program and the annual Scholars Day event
- DE-INBRE will support outreach activities that improve the quality of the educational and training environment; to recruit students from diverse backgrounds; and when possible, it will sponsor activities that address and eliminate health disparities.
Wesley College PI (Principal Investigator)
- Malcolm J. D’Souza, Ph.D. (malcolm.dsouza(at)wesley.edu)
- Professor of Chemistry & Associate Dean of Interdisciplinary/Sponsored Research (http://wesley.edu/?id=1194)
Academic Research Grants Administrator
- INBRE Students and Faculty in the News
- 2016 INBRE Summer Internship applications
- 2015-2016 INBRE/EPSCoR Recipients
- 2014-2015 INBRE/EPSCoR Recipients
- 2014 Summer Interns
- Conference Presentations
- Databases Developed
- Grants Received
- INBRE Sponsored Professional Development Travel
- Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Programs Established Under INBRE
- Specific Objectives for Wesley College Projects
- Wesley College projects supported through the INBRE 2 program (2009-2014)